Camp Footloose is an annual event which provides a valuable opportunity for children and young people with arthritis (aged 9 to 18 years) to have fun, meet others like them and share experiences in a supportive environment. It also helps them gain a sense of control over arthritis and their lives. Dedicated team leaders and staff, including health professionals, attend camp and guide participants through a range of exciting activities and fun education.
We are excited to announce the return of Camp Footloose to its weeklong format in 2022. And we can’t wait to see you all again! To ensure that your application can be accepted, please read the below information carefully.
- The camp is all about fun, with a broad range of activities on offer such as abseiling, flying fox, rock climbing, challenge ropes course and archery
- Nursing staff will be available 24/7 to assist with medications and other medical matters that may arise
- Education sessions will be facilitated by fully qualified health professionals
- Topics will be age-specific covering meeting nutritional needs, managing and coping with a chronic condition, goal setting and transitioning skills
Testimonials from Camp Footloose
From the parents:
“Thank you for everything you and your team have done…She said it was the best week of her life and has come home with more confidence, a new-found sense of independence, and wonderful memories with her new friends.”
“The leaders are so enthusiastic and kind. I feel that I am leaving my daughter in excellent hands. Very well organised. Many thanks!”
From the children:
“Thank you for holding a great camp. I met heaps of great people and had an amazing time.”
“I learnt that it’s ok to tell people you’re in pain and you need assistance.”
Camp Footloose Application Form – September 2022
Cost: $511 (inc. 4 nights’ accommodation, all meals, and activities)
Venue: Sydney Academy of Sport and Recreation, Wakehurst Pkwy, North Narrabeen NSW 2101
Dates: September 2022 (Times and dates TBC)
Scholarship: Arthritis NSW wishes to ensure that all children with JIA in NSW have an equal opportunity to participate in our camps. So, if the cost of camp is a current barrier to your child’s participation, please select ‘Scholarship’ as the payment type and we will contact you to discuss the possibility of a supported scholarship.
- If you child requires medication to be administered during camp, Medication charts need to be downloaded, printed and filled out by a GP then scanned and attached as part of the application
- Its best to get what you need together prior (e.g. Medication chart, photo of your child) and start and complete the application in one sitting
- Upload current passport quality photos of your child
- All medications (including as needed medications) are to be brought in a Webster Pack to camp.
Medication not packed will not be accepted (excluding liquid)
*No injectables will be administered on camp – if your child requires an injection, they should be scheduled prior to or after the dates of camp.
Due Date: All registrations and payment must be finalised by 10 August 2022.
(Please contact the organisation ASAP if you are unsure on how to complete any required segments or to discuss scholarship arrangements)
Covid19 Considerations and General Health:
Please note that ANSW will be working closely with and under the guidance of NSW Sport and Recreation staff (who are given directives and health and safety guidance via NSW Health directly) regarding Covid19- Safe practices and protocols. As always, as children with JIA are often using immunosuppressant medications, please be mindful not to attend camp if you believe your child is unwell and could potentially pass this illness on to others.
Questions: If you have any questions about Camp Footloose, please contact our Camps Coordinator on 02 9857 3300.