John donates to ANSW in memory of his wife Noreen who died five years ago, and lived with arthritis for 20 years.
‘Noreen didn’t complain so I didn’t know of all of the pain. Her fingers were buckled and she used to have pain in her elbows,’ John said. ‘She had both knees replaced due to arthritis and used to say that she could get around a bit better after that.’
John and Noreen had two children, five grandchildren and four great grandchildren, raising their family in a two-storey house in Warilla he built in 1959. John still lives there and his grandson lives next door.
His links to Arthritis NSW go back to 1999 when Noreen started going to the warm water classes at the Port Kembla Hospital after her knee replacement. ‘In 2006 they needed a co-ordinator and I had to join Arthritis NSW to be able to do the job. Then I was asked to be treasurer of the Warilla/Shellharbour Branch 2010 and still am.’
John developed osteoarthritis in his spine 30 years ago. ‘I only take Panamax and if my knees get really bad I rub horse liniment into them, which helps a lot.’
John also owns a 1922 Dodge which he’s driven to Dalby and Perth and even on set for the remake of The Great Gatsby. ‘Scouts spotted the Dodge at a display day at Eastern Creek in 2012 and asked if I was interested in driving it in the movie. I said yes and four weeks later I was being fitted for wardrobe. I spent 11 days filming inside the old power station in Balmain. It was a great experience.’
A big thank you to John for his ongoing support.
Like John, if you would like to support Arthritis NSW, please donate here.
Arthritis NSW – we’re here to help
We’re here to help whenever you need us. We have a variety of options available for support and information.
- Register for our free webinars here
- For more BLOG articles about managing your arthritis, please visit our News page here.
- We are a health charity, help us to deliver our services – donate here
- Sign up to eNews to get information and advice on managing your condition
- Call our free helpline on 1800 011 041 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
- Join our online community: Follow us on Facebook or Instagram
- Subscribe to our magazine, more info here
- Become a member, more info here