What are the community education programs?
For people living with a chronic health condition such as arthritis, the health system can seem impersonal and impractical. An inhibiting factor to patients feeling involved in their own health care is the prevailing medical model that sees the patient as a passive recipient of treatment and advice. The clinical nature of medical care doesn’t take sufficient account of how people live their lives or how they’d like to. The focus is on managing disease, not promoting well-being. Community-based education programs play an important role in promoting the effective self-management of chronic health conditions such as arthritis.
How can it help me?
When delivered by a trusted organisation such as Arthritis NSW, there are multiple benefits for participants:
- a better understanding of their disease – the causes and affects
- knowledge about self-managements strategies
- skills and tips on how to implement self-management strategies
- opportunities for peer education and support
- ability to connect with the health-trained facilitator for further referral
- evidence-based and consumer friendly information resources for ongoing reference
- confidence and motivation to initiate beneficial lifestyle change.
Our Free Monthly Webinars
Webinars are a fantastic way to learn ways to improve your health in the comfort of your home or office. Our webinar series deliver information about healthy lifestyles, diet, exercise, pain management and other key issues related to living with arthritis and osteoporosis. What is also great is that you can ask questions of the expert live.
- 10.30am (NSW), Monday 15 August
You asked, we listened! This webinar is geared towards learning about Osteoporosis; what is it, how and who gets it, prevention, treatment, and management. It will also include information about falls prevention.
Exercises for Arthritis: Joint Specific – Part 1: Lower limb – Hip, knee and ankle/foot
- 10.30am (NSW), Tuesday 13 September
Exercises for Arthritis: Joint Specific – Part 2: Upper limb – Spine, shoulder and hand
- 10.30am (NSW), Tuesday 27 September
Using our Get Moving! PLUS resources, we will be talking about specific joint exercises or movements that may be beneficial to those with arthritis. Some of these exercises will be explained and demonstrated during the session – you can join in!
Arthritis & Co-morbidities
- 10.30am (NSW), Monday 10 October
- 7.30pm (NSW), Tuesday 18 October
This webinar will:
- provide a broad understanding of the many diverse types of arthritis
- discuss the relationship between types of arthritis with common comorbidities (e.g., fibromyalgia, other autoimmune conditions, lifestyle diseases)
- provide information about health-related issues of long-term medications
Dealing with Your Diagnosis
- 10.30am (NSW) Monday 14 November
This webinar will cover:
- information about grief (related to chronic illness), depression, and ways to cope
- how to explain your condition to family and friends (for those with JIA to adult RA, OA and a few others)
- the work environment and arthritis
- tips for caregivers and partners
Rheumatic Autoimmune conditions: Navigating relationships, sex, and family planning
- 7.30pm (NSW), Tuesday 22 November
This webinar is specifically targeted to people who have been diagnosed with an RA condition and are looking for information about how to navigate the relationship with their significant other, sex, and family planning. We realise these topics are sensitive and may be hard to talk about it, but they are rea life issues that ASNW feel should be addressed. Please come along to this safe space to learn and share.