What is Strength & Balance Exercise
According to best practice, people with arthritis should engage in land-based strength exercises at least twice a week. Despite common concerns that “exercise will make their arthritis worse” – with the right exercise and under appropriate supervision, Strength training is in fact known to be one of the most effective ways to maintain mobility, build and retain strength and manage arthritis.
How can it help me?
- Improvements in condition management
- decreased pain
- increased mobility
- Improvements in strength and overall fitness
- Foster social connectivity with your class peers
- regain/build confidence in a motivating, social and supportive environment
Our online Strength & Balance Program can be done as either a one-day a week program or two-day from the comfort of your home – no matter where you are located in NSW. It incorporates balance, endurance, flexibility and strength-based exercises, which can be modified according to your fitness level, medical history and goals. To get a sense of the types of exercises involved please go to the Get Moving page to see more.
Arthritis NSW has partnered with the University of New South Wales’ Strength Clinic, which is a unique state of the art facility. The clinic is for people with specific medical issues and/or movement disorders, including older adults with chronic diseases (like arthritis). Supervised by Exercise Physiologists, student Exercise Physiologists will deliver weekly exercise sessions with the capacity to personalise participants workouts and help the clients achieve safe and effective technique, set program goals and modify their workouts as necessary.
45mins – 1hour
The program is currently run online via your home computer, laptop or device
$10 per class
- $100 will be taken upon registration and charged to your credit card
- If you register during term the rate on the website automatically calculates the fee you need to pay.
- Term 1: Monday 30 Jan – Thursday 6 April
- No Classes will be held on Good Friday, 7 April or Easter Saturday, 8 April. If your class falls on one of these days your term fee will be adjusted to reflect the credit.
- Term 2: Monday 24 Apr – Saturday 1 July
- No Classes will be held on Anzac Day, 25 April or King’s Birthday holiday, 12 June. If your class falls on one of these days your term fee will be adjusted to reflect the credit.
- Term 3: Monday 17 Jul – Saturday 23 Sept
- Term 4: Monday 9 Oct – Saturday 16 Dec
To register, please:
- Click on the box below for the class you would like to attend
- Complete the:
- online registration form including your credit card details
- nine medical/health screening questions and provide detail on your personal circumstances
- *Note* if you respond YES to one of these questions, ANSW will be in contact to advise whether a medical clearance needs to be completed by your G.P.
- review and consent to the Arthritis NSW Participant Policy for important payment and refund information
- You will be sent a confirmation email upon successful payment and inclusion in the program.
- You will be also be sent an email containing the link to the class.
- Keep this email handy as you will need it to login to the class each week
- Download the Teams app to your computer or device
- Once downloaded, click the class link in the email and it will automatically open the online class