What is Warm Water Exercise?
Exercising in warm water is one of the most comfortable and effective ways that a person with arthritis can exercise. The buoyancy of the water supports the body, taking the weight off inflamed and painful joints. The warmth of the water helps tight joints to loosen up and relax, easing soreness and soothing any pain.
The role of the water in your exercise class is two-fold – not only does it soothe and support your body, it also offers resistance to your movements, acting somewhat like a weight to help strengthen your muscles while you exercise.
How can it help me?
- Keep you moving
- Improve your coordination and endurance
- Ease stiff joints and relax sore muscles
- Help you feel better
Our warm water exercise classes
Unlike standard water-aerobic exercise classes, our program has been developed specifically for people affected by arthritis. All classes are lead by trained health professionals, with the minimum qualification being a Fitness Certificate IV covering hydrotherapy. A number of classes are run by physiotherapists and are eligible for health fund claim receipts. Our classes:
- give you the opportunity to exercise with guidance from a trained instructor, in a friendly and social environment
- are designed for small groups
- participants follow the same routine, but your leader will show you how to adjust the exercise to fit your personal needs, such as varying the pressure you exert on the water.
What people have said
- “I will be continuing the hydro as it has help my management of my pain and slowly building my muscles, I managed to get in and out of the bath which I haven’t been able to for 6 years.”
- “I believe the warm water exercises are good for my arthritis. I get a wonderful feeling when I enter the warm pool. I enjoy the company of the other participants and we share our ups and downs. We have lunch afterwards and that is good for our morale. Friendships are made.”
- “The warm water class lifts my mood and keeps me motivated to pursue further exercise.”
- “I attend warm water classes and Strength and Balance regularly and it has helped my Arthritis (knee) immensely. I’m managing a quality lifestyle doing what I like to do with these regular exercises without undergoing surgery. I will recommend these efforts by Arthritis NSW to anyone who needs it without hesitation.”
- Lane Cove – $220
- Bexley & Wollongong – $120
- All others – $150
Each class is 45 minutes long and are held during the NSW Department of Education school term (9 or 10 weeks). We currently offer our warm water exercise classes at the following locations:
- Bexley North – Healthstin Bexley Clinic, 98C Preddys Road, Bexley North NSW 2207
- Castle Hill – Anglicare, Wellness Centre, 12 Broughton Avenue, Castle Hill NSW 2154
- Epping – Karonga School, Karonga Cl, Epping NSW 2121
- Lane Cove – Lane Cove Physio, 237 Longueville Rd, Lane Cove NSW 2066
- Merrylands – Holroyd School, Willara Ave, Merrylands NSW 2160
- North Turramurra – Lady Davidson Private Hospital, 434 Bobbin Head Road, North Turramurra NSW 2074
- Potts Point – St Luke’s Private Hospital, 18 Roslyn St, Potts Point NSW 2011
- Randwick – Burger Centre, 120 King St, Randwick NSW 2031
- Rooty Hill – Sydney West Sports Medicine, Gymnastic and Aquatic Centre Building, 12 North Parade, Rooty Hill NSW 2766
- Shellharbour – Shellharbour Private Hospital, 27 Captain Cook Dr, Barrack Heights NSW 2528
- Tamworth – Tamworth Hydrotherapy Pool, Dean St, North Tamworth NSW 2340
- Wagga Wagga – Oasis Aquatic Centre, 60 Morgan Street, Wagga Wagga, 2650
- Wollongong – Physical Therapy, 60 Rosemont St, Wollongong NSW 2500
- Term 4: Monday 9 Oct – Saturday 16 Dec
- Term 1, 2024 – 29 January – 14 April
- Term 2, 2024 – 29 April – 7 July
- Term 3, 2024 – 22 July – 29 September
- Term 4, 2024 – 15 October – 21 December
Registrations for Term 1, 2024
Registrations are now open for Term 1, 2024 with classes starting from Monday 29 January.
To register, please:
- Click on the box below for the class you would like to attend
- Complete the:
- online registration form including your credit card details
- medical/health screening questions and provide detail on your personal circumstances
*Note* if you respond YES to one of these questions, ANSW will be in contact to advise whether a medical clearance needs to be completed by your G.P.
- review and consent to the Arthritis NSW Participant Policy for important payment and refund information
- You will be sent a confirmation email upon successful payment and inclusion in the program.