Low back pain is a significant burden in terms of pain, disability and loss of quality of life for those who experience it. This is a global problem with data in Australia revealing that a quarter of the population may have it at any one time. The fiscal burden is reported to be about $5 billion a year of direct costs.1
We’ve compiled a list of resources below that will give you lots of information and advice on managing your low back pain.
Developed by Arthritis Australia in conjunction with expert researchers, health professionals and people with back pain; the website provides trustworthy and up-to-date information on managing your low back pain. It also has a quiz plus a series of videos to help you learn more.
Watch the introductory video below and visit the website here.
ACI best practice care for people with acute low back pain
The Agency for Clinical Innovation released a consumer guide in 2019 which outlines the ACI Musculoskeletal Network best practice care as well as frequently asked questions, a case study, common back pain myths and a personalised care plan for you to complete.
You can download the 12 page guide on the link here.
10 things you need to know about low back pain – NPS Medicinewise
Many people believe that if they are in pain they need a scan (an X-ray, CT or CAT scan or MRI scan), but actually this isn’t true. Learn why scans are often unnecessary, and how staying active can help you recover faster.
Visit the resources here.
Arthritis NSW Back Pain Infosheet
You may also find our printable infosheet useful, download it here.
Information provided is of a general educational nature only and should not be relied upon as medical advice. Consult your health care professional about the treatment that is best for your particular case.
Arthritis NSW – we’re here to help
We’re here to help whenever you need us. We have a variety of options available for support and information.
- Register for our free webinars here
- For more BLOG articles about managing your arthritis, please visit our News page here.
- Sign up to eNews to get information and advice on managing your condition
- Call our free helpline on 1800 011 041 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
- We are a health charity, help us to deliver our services – donate here
- Join our online community: Follow us on Facebook or Instagram
- Subscribe to our magazine, more info here
- Become a member, more info here
- Source Agency for Clinical Innovation: https://aci.health.nsw.gov.au/resources/musculoskeletal/management-of-people-with-acute-low-back-pain/albp-model