Arthritis NSW and Sydney Dance Company are thrilled to announce a new partnership, joining forces to produce a 10-week dance program designed as an introduction to movement to music class accessible to all those with arthritis. Open to everyone who wants to dance but feels their current mobility restriction may prevent them from attending a face-to-face class.
Arthritis and Dance
Several studies have found people suffering from arthritis had improvement in mobility and joint pain, as well as positive changes in depression, anxiety, fatigue and tension when participating in a dance program once a week.
Benefits of dance
- Dance class is a fun and creative way to maintain a form of regular exercise: improving cardiovascular fitness, balance, coordination and strength
- The contemporary dance style has been specifically chosen because it will engage your imagination and sense of play, which may support healthy cognitive function and
- The program will be accessible to all people with arthritis despite age or severity of arthritis as the contemporary dance style will allow you to move within your individual capacity
Our Online Motion & Flow Dance Program
- 10-week online program delivered via Zoom with technical support provided.
- A structured class with an undertone of creative expression and combinations which may be repeated across multiple weeks to assist learning and allow progression. Various movement adaptations will be offered to the meet participants specific needs, for example whilst seated.
- Class will begin with a simple warm up which will progress to learning basic movements and combinations. The classes will progress throughout the term building on learnings of each class.
- The class will be led by Juliette Barton Sydney Dance Company’s current Training Associate and former Company dancer.
Sydney Dance Company is Australia’s leading contemporary dance company, training ground for aspiring dancers and provider of online and in-studio dance classes.
Times & Days
10.30am Tuesdays (11 October – 22 December)
$10 per class
- $100 will be taken upon registration and charged to your credit card on 15 October
- If you register during term the rate on the website automatically calculates the fee you need to pay.
To register, please:
- Click on the box below for the class you would like to attend
- Complete the:
- online registration form including your credit card details
- medical/health screening questions and provide detail on your personal circumstances
*Note* if you respond YES to one of these questions, ANSW will be in contact to advise whether a medical clearance needs to be completed by your G.P.
- review and consent to the Arthritis NSW Participant Policy for important payment and refund information
- You will be sent a confirmation email upon successful payment and inclusion in the program.