Developed by Arthritis Australia, the Program incorporates:
- Strength training group classes
- 12-week duration, one class per week
- For people 65 and over
- Made especially for people with arthritis-related symptoms
- Run by trained fitness professionals so you can be sure that you are exercising safely, correctly and for the most benefit!
- Cost – Online classes are currently available for free registration during the COVID-19 restrictions. To be eligible to join, you must be aged 65 and over (or 55 and over for people who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander) and reside in NSW or Queensland.
Arthritis Queensland, in collaboration with Arthritis NSW, is delivering the program and managing the online registrations, visit here for class times and to register now or call 1800 011 041.
Why is strength training good for me?
Strength training has proven benefits for people of all ages, abilities and fitness levels, including:
- Loosen up of tight joints and muscles and maintain healthy function
- Less pain without further medications
- Better movement and balance, flexibility and co-ordination
- Improved ability to do daily activities
- Better stamina and energy levels
- Better recovery from joint surgery
- Improved feelings of well-being
No matter what your age, the evidence is loud and clear; simple strength training completed regularly, can and will help. The Joint Movement Program is fun and beneficial for everyone.