About Camp Twinkletoes
Camp Twinkletoes is an annual event designed to help families caring for young children with juvenile arthritis. The program has four essential elements:
- Education for parents – talks by health professionals such as paediatric rheumatologist, clinical psychologist and paediatric nurse.
- For the child with juvenile arthritis – age appropriate mix of self management strategies and fun activities.
- Opportunity for whole family bonding.
- Experience-sharing between families.
For a family with a newly diagnosed child, the future is uncertain. Camp Twinkletoes supports families to adapt to this uncertainty and build the mental strength to care for their children in the most positive way possible. See below for a video and photos of Camp Twinkletoes in action.
Who is Camp Twinkletoes for?
- Children with juvenile arthritis 8 years old and under, accompanied by a parent or carer.
- Family members, siblings, extended family and close friends are also welcome.
Please register your interest below and we will be in touch.
Camp Twinkletoes Expression of Interest
If you have any questions about attending Camp Twinkletoes, please contact our Camp Coordinator on 02 9857 3300.
Watch the video below from Camp Twinkletoes 2019.
More information about our Camps for Kids
Based on learning about the impact of JIA conducted in 2018, the program centres on education in 3 primary areas – physical, social and emotional.
Typically the parent program will include talks from:
- Paediatric rheumatologist – physical/medical management of the condition
- Paediatric Clinical Consultant Nurse – a discussion and group based workshop on creating environments that foster a child’s confidence to express themselves about their condition at school or with peers
- Clinical psychologist – understanding pain, anxiety and mindfulness
There will also be ample opportunity for Q&As during each session and families will be encouraged to share their experiences.
Sample children’s program:
- Crazy Critters Experience – Aussie animal encounter
- Yoga and stretching session
- Expressive art and craft
- Opportunity to interact with older children with JIA who will be volunteering
If you have any questions about attending, volunteering for or sponsoring Camp Twinkletoes,
please contact us on 02 9857 3300.
Can you help support next year’s Camp Twinkletoes?
Juvenile arthritis now affects one in every 1,000 Australian children but only 30 young people were able to attend this year’s Camp Footloose. We would love to accommodate more campers each year, as well as offer camps in rural areas. Funding is the highest barrier, but you can help by donating here.