Welcome to the Get Moving! Exercise Series
It is extremely important to stay moving, fit and healthy for both our physical and mental health. Staying fit can significantly reduce the risk of developing or the progression of sedentary diseases, such as obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and reduce development and/or severity of arthritis. If you are having a bad day with arthritis, gentle movement and choosing just a couple of the exercises will boost blood flow and reduce the ‘stiffening’ that happens when we stop moving.
Kat Keane, our Health Services Educator, explains the Series in the Intro video that follows. To access the videos and instruction booklets, visit the links on each of the four levels below.
What exercise level should I choose?
These profiles are a guideline only. To assess what level suits you best, watch the videos and observe the illustrations of the exercises. You may find that you want to “mix and match” exercises from different progression levels, and that’s OK. It is recommended you consult with your GP or health care professional before starting any exercise program, however, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 011 041 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Possibly co-morbid (other conditions) e.g. heart condition
- Non exerciser
- Decreased/compromised range of motion in joints and/or poor balance
Basic & Intermediate
- Ages between 40s-60s
- Has some exercise experience
- Has a base level of fitness
- Arthritic condition and/or comorbid conditions are well managed and do not significantly impact ability to perform activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Ages between 20s- 40s
- Gym goer or experience with group exercise classes
- At minimum, a moderate level of fitness
- Arthritic condition well managed and does not significantly impact ability to perform activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Likely not comorbid and/or is managed well
To access the videos and an Instruction Booklet for each level click the links below. Enjoy & Get Moving!
Questions & Feedback
We would love your questions or feedback on the Get Moving! Series – please email email@example.com
Arthritis NSW – we’re here to help
We’re here to help whenever you need us. We have a variety of options available for support and information.
- Please donate – so that we can continue to develop free resources for the arthritis community like the Get Moving! Series
- For more BLOG articles about managing your arthritis, please visit our News page here.
- Sign up to eNews to get information and advice on managing your condition
- Call our free helpline on 1800 011 041 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
- Join our online community: Follow us on Facebook or Instagram
- Subscribe to our magazine, Arthritis Matters
- Become a member
This series contains general information and advice. Every effort has been made to ensure that the information is accurate and reliable. The content of this series is not a substitute for the individual treatment advice of your doctor or health care professional. Always consult with your doctor or healthcare professional to obtain individual medical, treatment or management advice.
The videos demonstrate only a few repetitions (reps) of each exercise. Start with the number of reps that you are comfortable with and slowly increase over time. Different reps are suggested for the four levels: Beginner, Basic, Intermediate and Advanced. Aim to complete your chosen rep and set range and evenly do both left and right sides (of arms and/or legs). Additionally, the videos demonstrate some exercises from various angles for the purpose of illustrating technique only. You do not need to change your position mid-way through a set like the videos demonstrate.
For your safety, it is advised that you READ and understand the accompanying Instruction Booklet before participating in the exercises shown, and seek advice if needed.