Support for Mental Wellbeing

Arthritis is a chronic health condition that affects not only our physical health, but also our mental wellbeing.

Ongoing physical symptoms, social impacts, and coping with new diagnoses or treatments can cause distress or affect our mood, thoughts and emotions. As is the case with other chronic illnesses, research shows that people with arthritis are more likely to also have anxiety and/or depression.

Arthritis and Emotional Wellbeing

This information sheet discusses the links between arthritis, emotions, anxiety and depression. It also provides information on the range of effective treatments, health professionals and other support people who can help.

Services and Organisations

There are many free services and organisations available to help support mental health and wellbeing:

Crisis Support

Triple Zero 000 in an Emergency
Lifeline 13 11 14 – 24/7 Crisis Support
Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467 – 24/7 telephone and online counselling

Other helpful services and sources of information

  • Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636 – information and support to help everyone achieve their best possible mental health.  
  • MensLine 1300 78 99 78 – telephone and online counselling service for Australian men.
  • 13YARN 13 92 76 – national crisis support line for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. The service provides a confidential one-on-one yarning opportunity with a Lifeline-trained Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Crisis Supporter who can provide crisis support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Kids Helpline 1800 55 180 – 24/7 online and phone counselling service for young people aged 5-25.
  • Head to Health – find digital mental health resources from trusted service providers.
  • Headspace – early intervention mental health services for 12-25 year olds.
  • eheadspace – online and telephone support and counselling to young people 12-25 and their families and friends.
  • MindSpot – free service for Australian adults who are experiencing difficulties with anxiety, stress, depression and low mood.
  • SANE Australia  a national mental health charity who provide support, research and advocacy for people affected by complex mental health issues.
  • DVConnect – provides state-wide specialist domestic, family and sexual violence crisis counselling, intervention, information and pathways to safety (emergency housing and refuge).
  • Sexual Assault Helpline – 1800 010 120

Find more services at Mental Health – NSW Government.

Healthcare providers and services

General Practitioner (GP)

Your GP is the best starting point for someone seeking professional help. Your GP can work with you to draw up a Mental Health Treatment Plan, and refer you to mental health specialists such as a psychologist or psychiatrist (if appropriate).


A psychologist is a professional trained in the science of how people think, feel, behave and learn. They provide assessment and therapy to help people recover from mental health conditions.

To find a psychologist, visit

Updated September 2023